Pages

Custom Widget

Wednesday 23 September 2015

DON’T TELL ANYONE

He said specifically not to tell anyone, not to tell anyone he said. Should I tell, even if I want to, whom shall I tell? Madam seemed too engrossed in her business, I mean leaving early in the morning and coming back at night. Besides, she finds every flimsy excuse to punish me, how then should I tell her?? I’ll probably act like nothing is wrong, like he said I’m not the first.
Don't Tell Anyone
“Ada, will you come here and attend to this madam”, madam called out always sitting on the arm chair with her legs crossed. How can she stand when she weighs more than Yokozuna of Japan. I quickly ran to answer because if she calls another time that means kneeling down or pick pin. She has refused to see that I’m a grown up or better still I sleep with her husband on a daily basis and so I’m on an equal level as she is. Maybe or maybe not, it’s surely the truth. I attended to the customer afterwards, I recited the usual caption I was asked to say to every customer, “Thank you for your patronage, hope to see you some other time. Do have a lovely day”. This is my usual routine well as a shop attendant I was paid to do it. But today is different from other days, I felt nauseated and weak. I rushed to the toilet and vomited what looked like what I had for breakfast. Maybe it’s malaria I said to myself or one of those sickness.
I’ve never been to a hospital, my oga buys the drugs I need. At least he knew the perfect one because he is a doctor in one of the big hospitals on the Island. I resolved not to tell anyone till I get home. That’s the right thing to do. I managed to stay in the shop and did all that is expected of me and when it was time to go home I was glad at least I can go home to rest.
He came into my room the same way as every other night. I already knew that I wasn’t meant to shout so i spread my legs wide and let him in, before we get on to the business of the day, I decided to tell him that I was sick and needed medical attention. He acted like he didn’t hear me and it looked as though he was irritated by my statement. But am I not human or I don’t have a right to fall sick. Well, I don’t want to upset him so I quickly apologized and did his bidding. When he was done, he left the room but didn’t remind me not to tell anyone. Maybe I didn’t please him too well, I thought or he isn’t in a good mood that night. I’ll definitely make it up to him the next time.
Days turned into weeks and then one month has gone by I didn’t see Oga. He never dropped by and my situation was getting worse. I couldn’t tell Madam that I needed rest. I dare not. I resolved to go for a test and know my status as things became scary. I feared for the worse.
I left during lunch time and requested for a blood test which they did. I was asked to come back in a weeks’ time to collect my result. I had gotten pale, lost appetite for food in fact I can’t explain my feeling. But everything will be over now that I’ve gone for my blood test. I can’t wait to know my status. I just can’t wait.
Days really ran fast and the day for the result was here. I had mixed feeling as to what to expect. Like I said I feared for the worse but it’s alright. I mean it can’t be so bad probably one of those usual sicknesses. I left during lunch time as the last time and went to the hospital. I paid for the result and was referred to the doctor to translate the result.
I hesitated when I got to the door then I knocked on the door and was asked to come in. I entered greeted him and then relayed my reason for coming. I also gave him the result. He went through it, raised his face up and looked at me then went back to the result. I became worried, what is wrong??
He finally spoke, ” from the result, you will be fine”, the assurance I needed. He continued,” but there is a little bit of a problem. When was the last time you saw your monthly flow? I didn’t even notice. I’ve not seen my period as expected. But I lied to him instead,” last week sir “. He muttered few words and spoke again,” that’s alright. From the result here, you are pregnant. Six weeks pregnant. Your blood is also infected with HIV. But don’t worry, you will be fine. Many people have survived and are still surviving from the deadly disease even pregnant women. I stood up slowly, I was hearing his voice but I cared less. My life has finished. I made my way to the hallway. Afraid and in despair.
I’m not only pregnant but I’m down with the disease. The HIV disease. No wonder madam always stayed away from him. Could it be she has it too?? Who am I going to tell now?? Don’t tell anyone he said, who should I tell??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widgets